Foreign Nationals wishing to take up paid employment in Bangladesh will require a work permit. These are normally considered for a job for which local experts / technicians are not available.
If you intend to visit Bangladesh, on holiday, a business trip, to study, work, volunteer or as an emigrant you should get up to date and accurate information from the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Bangladesh
A work permit for foreign nationals is a prerequisite for employment in Bangladesh. Private sector industrial enterprises desiring to employ foreign nationals are required to apply in advance to the Bangladesh Board of Investment in the prescribed from. For expatriate employment the guidelines are as follows:
- Nationals of countries recognized by Bangladesh are considered for employment.
- Employment of expatriate personnel will be considered only in industrial/commercial establishments which are sanctioned/registered by the appropriate authority.
- Employment of foreign nationals is normally considered for the job for which local experts/technicians are not available.
- Persons below 18 years of age are not eligible for employment.
- A decision of the board of directors of the concerned company for new employment/employment extension is to be furnished in each case.
- The number of foreign employees should not exceed 5% in the industrial sector and 20% in commercial sector of the total employees, including top management personnel.
- Initially employment of any foreign national is considered for a term of two years, which may be extended on the basis of merit of the case.
- Ministry of Home Affairs will issue necessary security clearance certificate.